17 June 2013

Thanks To The Port

Last Sunday (June 8th), I went to Yokohama to watch firework festival. As summer is coming near,  I think I have to be ready for various firework parades that'll come ahead. Yeaay! I do love fireworks ;)

"Thanks To The Port 横浜開港祭り2013", the event that I came last week was held to commemorate the opening of Yokohama port. I think it would be interesting enough if I tell you a bit about Yokohama, the second largest city in Japan after Tokyo by populations ;)




Yokohama was a small fishing village, back when Japan was still in sakoku period (lit. "chained country"). The country was barely opened for foreigners due to the national seclusion policy. The policy was enacted by Tokugawa Ieyasu during the feudal Edo Period. There was a major turning point in 1853-1854 when Commodore Matthew Perry from America came to the  southern part of Yokohama, demanding that Japan should open some ports for commerce, and the Tokugawa shogunate agreed by signing the treaty of Peace and Amity. Later on, Yokohama quickly became the base of foreign trade in Japan and one of Japan's prominent port cities. No wonder if Yokohama is loaded with many mix cultural architectures and monuments. If you happen to visit here you'll feel the undeniable strong European atmosphere in most of its parts.



I departed at 4 p.m. and it took around 40 minutes to reach Yokohama from my dorm which is located in an area called Shonandai. Because the firework was supposed to be at 8:20 p.m, so we decided to take a walk around the venue and took some photos before we seeked a place to sit and watch the firework :D

My buddies that day; Maru-chan, Shiho and Mba Rini















I always love Yokohama. It always managed to amaze me every time I went there! There are lots of beautiful architectural areas and parks that I swear I'll never tired to see. Like the ones you see in my photos, this area is called Pacifico Yokohama



See the girls wearing Yukata in the photo below? Yeah, a friend of mine said that it will be a commonplace scene during summer to see many people wearing Yukata to watch festivals. Summer is the season for festivals and fireworks, anyway! ;)
... and I'm wanting to wear Yukata as well ><








Rinko Park, the main venue of the firework festival, was loaded by sea of human. Many people were so excited to watch the firework. They weren't reluctant to come and stay in the park even since 3 p.m, means that they had to wait for 5 hours! But fortunately, the fireworks were worth a long wait ;)


The beautiful Yokohama Bay Bridge. One of the reason why I deeply in with love Yokohama ;)



The day was getting dark, and everybody got more excited since 8 p.m was just coming near! <3




The iconic Yokohama Intercontinental Hotel. I love this ship sail shaped building since it's so describing the marine vibe of Yokohama.












Counting down to 3... 2... 1... 

Fireworks!!




So sparkly, reminding me to that infamous galaxy print. Don't you think the same as me?





Well, time to go back home.. Tanoshikatta!


xx,

Shabrina 

Other Posts You Might Love to Read